15th Century Leeds
By the 15th Century the original vill of old Leeds and the Leeds established by Paynel’s charter of 1207 had coalesced. A bridge was recorded over the river Aire by 1322 though one probably existed long before that. Legend has it that a ferry previously operated there. Before that crossing over the river was by a ford. Remains of a Roman ford were discovered in 1819. Note the manorial park still echoed in such names as Park Row, Park Square, Park Place and Park Lane.