A Sketchbook of Old Leeds
Theatre Royal about 1900
The original Theatre Royal in the town was on Hunslet Lane and more usually known as the Leeds Theatre. In 1876 when the Royal Amphitheatre in Lands Lane burnt down Joseph Hobson rebuilt it and renamed it the Theatre Royal. Famed for its pantomimes that often ran from Christmas to Easter, it closed on 30 March 1957.