OLD ALWOODLEY - in Photographs
9. Triumphal Arch over Harrogate Road looking north, constructed to the design of Sidney Kitson in 1908. The was one of two built in July of that year to decorate the route taken by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra from Leeds to Harewod House, where the Royal party were staying. Located near the junction with Nursery Lane, its design was based on the 17th century rood screen in St. Johns Church, New Briggate, Leeds. The first water tower can be seen just to the left of the picture.