AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF ROUNDHAY PARK
Sources of Illustrations
Thanks are due to the following bodies, societies and individuals who have kindly granted permission to reproduce their material. Illustrations not listed below are in the author's collection.
West Yorkshire Archive Service, Leeds:
Yorkshire Post Newspapers:
The Courtauld Institute for Art:
Sheffield Industrial Museum: Kelham Island:
Leeds Museums and Galleries:
Leeds Local and Family History Library:
'Roundhay Park in 1838' by John Wilson Carmichael (1800-1868). This is one of three watercolour paintings of the estate commissioned by Stephen Nicholson. Carmichael was born in Newcastle upon Tyne. After a period at sea and an apprenticeship to a shipbuilder, Carmichael became a pupil of the elder T.M.Richardson. He painted first in oils and then mostly in watercolour. He specialised in marine subjects. From 1838 he regularly sent paintings for exhibition at the Royal Academy.
'Full Moon behind Cirrus Cloud from the Roundhay Park Castle Battlements' by Atkinson Grimshaw. In 1871 Leeds Council was seeking to promote the Leeds Improvement Bill which gave them the power to purchase the Roundhay Estate from John Barran and his associates. This is one of three paintings commissioned by them to provide the parliamentary committee with some idea of the park's appearance.
Previous Page Next Page